Acccuracy and range of the height measurement from onboard barometer sensor

Home Forums Drona Aviation – Drone for Education Acccuracy and range of the height measurement from onboard barometer sensor

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      savvej
      Participant

Hello Sir,

Based on my understanding, pluto has onboard barometer sensor using which it gets estimate of height. When I use the app -> drone settings menu for reading the barometer sensor, both the units(shown in cm) as well as the height seem amiss.
        It shows fluctuating reading around 2cm at rest and when I lift it, I expect the reading to go up as it moves up. But it is very unstable and changes from 1.4 to 2.0 when at rest on a flat surface.
        Q. Is this a sensor issue or something which is expected?
        Q. Which is the sensor used on board and what is the range and accuracy of the sensor?
        Q. In videos, it says it measures height using P= rho * g * h. My guess is that we don’t know rho, hence we don’t know actual height. What we can relate during control is changes in height. Is this understanding correct or is there some calibration similar to accelerometer/magnetometer available, which finds this proportionality constant?

Thanks,
        Shabbar

prasanna.shevare
        Participant

Hi, Good question.

1. Yes the sensor has an accuracy of +/-50cm. So the error that you see is expected.
          2. We use barometer for height measurement.
          3. rho is pretty standard ~1.22

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.